Jim Goodwin was hired in May 1968 and retired in June 2003 after 35 years of dedicated and accomplished service. Upon his retirement, he was granted Emeritus status. As a Pioneer Faculty member at the temporary Serra Campus on Washington Boulevard in Fremont, Jim was involved in establishing the science program at Ohlone. He assisted with the planning and implementation of science facilities at the permanent campus on Mission Boulevard that opened in 1974.
Jim designed and taught the first courses in the Biology Major’s Program and successfully taught thousands of students in the Introduction to Biology Program. He also designed and taught the Sierra Nevada Natural history class that included a field trip to Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. Jim was appointed Chair of the Biology Department on 1974 and was appointed Science Division Director, Pro Tem during 1985.
Jim was also active outside the Science Division. He served on the AB 1725 Analysis Committee from September 1989 to June 1990 to establish and implement shared governance at the college. He was a strong advocate for faculty participation in college decision making. Jim attended numerous conferences and workshops related to the use of computers in the teaching of biology. In his early years at Ohlone, Jim served as the head baseball coach and he also assisted with coaching football and basketball.
Jim was passionate about biology and the life sciences and worked tirelessly to help student succeed. He was also dedicated to keeping the biology curriculum up-to-date and fully transferrable to four-year colleges and universities.